Tuesday 18 December 2012

DIY Christmas | chocolate orange truffles.

I'm starting a new series of blog posts called 'DIY Christmas'. I'm a bit late time be talking about Christmas gifts & decorations but this is my first year doing this kind of thing so I'm just documenting the things that I've enjoyed making, ready for people to get ideas for next year! (Can't believe I just spoke about NEXT Christmas when it's only 18th December!)

This first post is about chocolate orange truffles and how to make them. I stumbled across this recipe online and as a sucker for anything chocolate-orange, I had to try making them. The end product was great and I though what a great Christmas gift these would make! We all know what it's like;  the major festive stress of who to buy gifts for. My family is huge and I physically could not afford to buy for everyone. However, I can afford to make them truffles! I'm making these for aunties, cousins, uncles, friends and anyone else who enjoys a sweet treat!

My plan is to make each person a little gift bag decorated with a luggage label with their name on, some ribbon and inside, four delicious truffles of two diffrrent flavours flavours.

To make about 30 chocolate orange truffles, you will need:

200g milk chocolate
1 large orange
100ml double cream

and that is it!

method:
melt the chocolate & cream together either in a bowl above (but not touching) simmering water or in short bursts in the microwave.

whilst this is melting, zest and juice an orange and pop contents into a small saucepan. bring to the boil, simmer until the sauce reduces to about a tablespoons worth.

Add the two liquids together and simply put into a container, making sure the mixture is at least 3cm deep. Pop into the fridge and leave to cool for 2-3 hours.

Once the truffle mixture has hardened slightly, use a melon baller or teaspoon to roll a small ball, shape in your hands and roll into a bowl of icing sugar. DONE!

You can decorate these however you like. I use eBay for all my crafty things ans have bought little cases for them which worked out super cheap. And the cellophane bags are from eBay too. Perfect for Christmas.

Cornish Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment